Cheap Car Insurance for First-Time Drivers
Here’s what you need to know.
- If you are a first-time driver, you can count on paying more for your car insurance than people who have been driving for years
- There are a few discounts you may qualify for, so check with an agent
- Keep your driving record clean to avoid paying even more for coverage
Are you new to driving and struggling to find cheap car insurance?
Car insurance premiums do tend to be costly for new drivers. Despite this, there are many ways to find car insurance for first-time drivers that doesn t break the bank.
The most important thing to remember when looking for car insurance is that it pays to shop around. You should obtain multiple quotes from several insurance companies before making a decision.
Also, examine the policies and see what discounts different companies may offer that you could take advantage of, including a discount for shopping online.
Most insurance companies offer discounts of between 10-20% for shopping and buying policies online versus over the phone or in person.
Online shoppers save companies money because it cuts down on the need for staff. Thus, the companies are able to offer potential customers cheaper rates.
Plans for New Drivers
Whether you decide to shop online for car insurance or still prefer to call or visit the car insurance companies directly, examining multiple plans will save you money in the long run.
Look at plans designed specifically for first-time drivers.
These often offer several features to help protect new drivers in the event of an accident, including:
- Increased liability coverage – Frequently the 100/300/100 formula for liability coverage is recommended for first-time drivers; this means $100,000 bodily injury coverage, $300,000 coverage for injuries of all parties involved in an accident, and $100,000 damage coverage
- Medical Payments Coverage – Covers any medical expenses of all parties involved
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage – Pays for your damage and injuries in the event an accident is caused by an uninsured or underinsured individual
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Tips for First-Time Drivers
There are many discounts available for first-time drivers; you just have to know what to look for and what questions to ask when you are comparing insurance companies.
Frequently, there are discounts that are not openly advertised:
- Make sure you are driving a car in a lower insurance cost group. This means a car that is well built with several safety features, but is not considered a sports car or luxury car as these vehicles cost more to insure.
- If you are a student between the ages of 16 and 24 and you receive good grades, you may want to look into a good student discount. Good students are viewed as being more responsible and less of a liability by insurance companies.
- You may want to consider having a higher deductible in exchange for a lower premium.
- Many insurance companies offer lower premiums in exchange for license restrictions such as the requirement that the driver take an advanced driving course.
- Teenage drivers should examine the difference in rates between having their own insurance and being added to their parents policy .
- Paying annual premiums in one lump sum up front will lower your costs. When you opt to make payments monthly, insurance companies charge interest, often at a rate of 20% on the unpaid balance.
- Adding an anti-theft device to your car can lower insurance costs.
- If you are having difficulty finding insurance that you can afford on your income, consider getting liability coverage versus comprehensive or collision coverage.
Make Sure the Low Costs You Find Stay Low
The most important factor when looking to lower car insurance rates is that you always try to maintain a clean driving record .
Insurance premiums increase dramatically for new drivers, even for minor traffic infractions. When you first get your license, it is easy to get excited behind the wheel of a car and drive too fast or turn your attention away from the road for a second, but these can be very costly mistakes.
While it takes a little extra time to compare insurance quotes, discounts, and coverage options, it is worth taking that time to find the best coverage and lowest rates available.
Money is often tight for first-time drivers, but don t let insurance costs scare you away from realizing the freedom that comes with having your driver s license and your very own vehicle.
Get started searching for cheap car insurance now using our comparison tool! Just enter your zip code and compare car insurance quotes!