Trusts and Estates
Hobson, Karen E.
Jewkes, Jenifer A.
Kirk, Gary M.
Lanier, Jamie R.
Larsen, Janet Knauss
Mautner, Gail E.
Moseley, Mary Lee
Riley, Charles W. Jr.
Spratley, Dawn S.
Lane Powell’s Trusts and Estates Practice Group is comprised of a team of attorneys who practice in all aspects of estate and gift planning; business succession planning; probate and trust administration; charitable, asset protection and international estate planning; and trust, estate and guardianship disputes and litigation. We have been highly ranked in the U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual “Best Law Firms” survey and in Chambers High Net Worth for our work in trusts and estates law. Three of our Shareholders are members of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. Our attorneys regularly write and speak on the many complex issues that arise in estate planning and administration to local, regional and national audiences. In addition, because of our expertise and reputation for presenting complex ideas clearly, we are frequently called upon by state and local bar associations to lead seminars and presentations.
We offer a wide range of services:
- Wills, Trusts and Related Estate Planning Documents
- Community Property Agreements
- Partnership, LLC and Buy-Sell Agreements
- Sophisticated tax planning to minimize state and federal transfer taxes
- Cohabitation, Prenuptial, Postnuptial and Other Forms of Property Agreements
- Charitable Planning, including charitable trusts, donor advised funds, supporting organizations, private foundations and tax-exempt organizations
- Fiduciary Representation, including Probate and Trust Administration Services
- Preparation of federal and state Estate and Gift Tax Returns
- Consultation and Preparation of non-judicial dispute resolution agreements
- Representation in Estate and Trust Dispute Resolution, including mediation and, if necessary, litigation, addressing matters such as will contests, trust litigation, guardianship conflicts and IRS or state tax return audits
- Business Planning, including business succession planning, transition of business ownership, representation of the business in tax-related matters
Our Relationship with Our Clients and Our Communities
The attorneys in Lane Powell’s Trusts and Estates Practice Group focus on personal planning for high net worth families and individuals, frequently working in collaboration with our individual clients’ entire team of personal planners (which can include financial advisors, wealth management consultants and accountants) to complete personalized plans that fit each client’s unique circumstances. We assist our clients with personal planning through their many stages of life. We build long lasting relationships with our clients and their multi-generational families, addressing their legal needs from premarital and estate planning for a young family, to wealth transfer and business succession strategies in the later years. We also take great satisfaction from active involvement in our local communities through service on boards of directors for a variety of not-for-profit organizations.
Our Approach to Planning
We focus on creating customized, personal plans that fit each client’s individual circumstances and goals with innovative solutions that tackle challenges arising from:
- Federal and State Estate Taxes
- Business Succession Planning
- Income Tax Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Asset Protection Planning
- Prenuptial and Property Status Agreements
In addition, we work with families after the death of a loved one, assisting with:
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Advising Heirs and Beneficiaries (including surviving spouses and younger generations
Our Approach to Challenges
Unfortunately, even with the most careful planning and best of intentions, personal planning may be challenged by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or by other family members. Our attorneys have extensive experience representing clients before the IRS. We also have extensive experience representing fiduciaries, beneficiaries and family members in probate, trust, guardianship and vulnerable adult litigation.
Trusts and Estates